The Top 7 Tips For Getting The Best From A Wedding Band Showcase
Published Dec 14, 2017
Wedding Band Showcases. Everybody is doing them, here's how to get the best from them and how to avoid costly mistakes.
- Take as many friends and family as you can, but especially the decision makers. It seems obvious, but if someone else is contributing towards the bill, they'll probably want a say on how the money is being spent.
- Understand that this is an unusual situation for a band to perform in. Imagine performing in front of 200 Simon Cowell's and you'll get the idea. The audience will be sober and not dancing, this most definitely won't be the case at your wedding reception. So cut a little slack and if the band seems unusually nervous, it's because they are.
- Make sure the company behind the showcase you attend allows a cooling off period. You are legally entitled to your money back for any reason at all within seven days of making your booking. At Hireaband, we allow up to fourteen days.
- Be wary of entertainment agencies. There are absolutely no rules regarding who can act as an entertainment agent in the UK. This means that anyone with a computer and a few band telephone numbers can set themselves up and take your money. The only guarantee that you're dealing with a reputable agency is to ensure they are members of the Agents Association of Great Britain. This organisation has a strict code of conduct and is the only body of it's kind that guarantees its members obey all current government legislation relating to fair and honest trading. Only two agencies in Scotland who regularly run wedding band showcases are members of this trade body, Freak Music and Hire A Band.
- Make sure you're seeing the band exactly as they'll appear at your wedding. Some showcases hire in expensive lights and sound systems worth thousands of pounds so that every band looks and sounds great. However that equipment won't be available on your wedding day, so only hire a band at a showcase if they're using their own equipment. Then you're getting an accurate picture of what they'll sound and look like on your wedding day.
- Ask questions. If you're keen on a band and want to know if they'll learn a particular song, will travel further than normal of if you're uncle Jimmy will be allowed to sing with them, just ask. A good showcase will allow this to happen. If an agency tries to get between you and the band or DJ then do not use that agency. Chances are they are charging more for the band than you would pay if you booked direct. At Hireaband we guarantee direct fees and always put you in direct contact with your chosen entertainer.
- Don't overthink it. The right band for you will be fairly obvious straight away. A good showcase will only feature bands with a proven track record and excellent customer feedback so don't worry about details, all of these can be worked out. But if a band really appeals to you, chances are they'll be appealing to other guests at the showcase, so move fast to secure them. Every showcase we've ever done sees people missing out on their favourite band by a matter of a few minutes.
So that's it. I hope you've found this useful. If you ever have any questions or concerns just give us a call and we'll be more than happy to have a chat with you. You can register for the next Scottish Wedding Band Showcase anytime you like.